Sunday, May 1, 2016

That Cracking Sound You Hear...

May 1, 2016

As you might notice, it has been around three years since I posted anything here. Over the past several years, I have focused on Facebook as it is more immediate in reaching the various folks with whom I have "Friended" including many family members, some old personal friends and several people with whom I have come together, owing to our sharing personal, social and political ideology.

But life, as they say, is a journey with many ups and downs, twists and turns, some of which we seek, but most which come to us unexpectedly, for good or ill.

"Ill" is coming my way.

Later this month I am to have my chest cracked open for the purpose of bypassing a number of arteries that have had the temerity to become clogged over my nearly 70 years of existence. 


This wasn't totally unexpected. As I noted, I am "getting up there," and I have long been, for lack of a gentler term - fat. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs (anymore,) and I don't chase wild women. In fact chasing anything is pretty much beyond me considering the circumstances. 

But my sorrowful eating habits, and my general lack of any regular and meaningful exercise over these many years have taken their toll. Consider that you don't often see really old fat guys waddling about. Turns out there's a reason for that. Who knew?

I intend to write a sort of "Oh shit, they're going to cut me open" diary over the coming days leading up to, and hopefully after the slicing and dicing of my "temple."

I hope to avoid being too maudlin in this effort, but, perhaps in doing this, I will be able to reflect on some things, perhaps seeing my life and the world around me in a different light. 

That being said, intentions tend to be more hopeful than when it comes to actually carrying out a task. 

We'll see.  

TLS


No comments: