Thursday, August 21, 2008

Clusters Victory!!!!


As they say "perseverence will out." I refused to give up. I stayed the course. I found Honey Nut Clusters!
Woohoo!
I had made further contact with General Mills. (See July 31st post below.) They sent me a fairly comprehensive list of several stores in the Indy area which had ordered Clusters over the last ninety days. The list included some heavy hitters: Marsh, Meijer, K-Mart, and yes, Wal-Mart! Of the twelve stores on the list, I actually went to seven of them only to discover no Clusters. None. I called a couple of others, but couldn't get definitive answers from them. I have to admit, I was down, dejected. What was I to do? My very will to live was waining.
I was out and about yesterday afternoon up on the tony north side of town, the Meridian-Kessler area, when I drove by a Safeway store. Safeway is not a major player here in Indy. They have but seven relatively small locations scattered about the city. No Safeway stores were on the GM list. But, I had a few minutes. I thought, what the hell, right? So I pulled into their small lot and angled into the space closest to the door. Good omen, I thought.
I walked into the store and had to wait while my eyes adjusted to the relative darkness. I then scoped out the cereal aisle. Only a few steps in and I spotted them. In almost every instance that I can recall Clusters have always been situated on the top shelf. But Safeway had placed them about midway down. Nevertheless, there they were! I spotted them immediately! Perhaps a dozen or more boxes of Honey Nut Clusters silently waiting for me to grab as many of the beautiful gold and blue boxes as I could carry. Personally, I think they all wanted to go with me. But I restrained myself. I latched onto only three boxes. I didn't want to deprive others of the wonderfully more or less tasteless brown flakes and globs of generic, sugar infused nut pieces. And I didn't want to seem like a complete idiot at the check out. I once bought four boxes and got looks that have since haunted me. Three boxes seem to be the limit. With three, I get smiles. With four or more I get "looks."
I had a bowl of Honey Nut Clutsters this morning. Life for me has returned to some semblance of normalcy. I can go into the morning knowing I have started my day just as I should. Life is good.
TLS

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So baritone, this is the kind of drivel you waste your "empty nest" time on?

At least I still have some passion and vigor in my old bones.

What do you have? Bupkis, that's what you have.

Terry S said...

Well David,

First, welcome to my world. I chose to enjoy it. It's not a waste of time at all.

I suspect that I have far more "passion and vigor" than you could imagine. My life is quite full.

I suppose any time spent not spewing your general disdain and hatred of virtually everything would seem trivial to you.

What a desolate life you must lead.

TLS