Monday, December 8, 2008

What a Crummy Week!


I've spent the past week - the past 10 days really - fighting a really bad cold. Some have suggested that I have the flu. Could be, I suppose, but I did get a flu shot about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I haven't had a fever that I know of.


Nevertheless, I have spent the last several days amongst a veritable sea of used kleenex. I finally went out to the VA Hospital on Friday, where not having an appointment, I was obliged to spend the better part of 6 hours waiting before I finally saw a doctor. She listened to my chest and heard nothing disturbing, but sent me to have a chest x-ray anyway. Apparently, nothing came of that either. I did get what has become the obligatory Z-Pak of which I have one more dose to take tomorrow.


I suppose I am on my way to shaking this thing, but I still have a bit of a cough via which I am still expectorating stuff that remains a fetching shade of green. (Aren't you glad you started reading this?) The most bothersome symptom remaining is an unrelenting sore throat - specifically at my soft palate. It pisses me off. It actually went away for a few hours yesterday afternoon, but came back just as before by evening and has remained all day today. I suppose with respect to how rotten I have felt over the past several days, it's been good that I haven't had much work to do.


However, the bad thing is that I haven't had much work to do - which has been the case for pretty much the past 6 weeks or so. It's starting to get pretty dicey for us. We are essentially living off of the small amount of money I've earned from the piddling amount of work I've completed during the last several weeks and credit cards - all of which are mounting up to near their limits. I see no end in site.


In the 20 plus years I have run my little business, I have had a number of ups and downs, but this is a different animal all together. I have never seen it quite like this. If I was a drinker... man, I'd be plastered from dawn to dusk and beyond. I guess the upside of this cold I've had is that I've spent a good deal of time over the last several days sleeping - except, of course, the entire night I spent coughing. But, when one is coughing - constantly hacking, one doesn't spend a great deal of time worrying about the state of one's bank account.


I hear Obama's hiring.


TLS
Oh, and the pic? Those were the days. Don't bother looking for a hummingbird. There isn't one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there friend. I'm so sorry you've been so sick. I was wondering where you were. I haven't been around much either as I battle my health issues and a general sense of being quite down in mood.

Not sure if cyber hugs will help. It's the thought though I guess, eh?

Terry S said...

I'll take whatever "hugs" I can get. I just reread my last couple of posts, and they seem really sappy. Woe is me. I thought seriously of removing them.

But, I guess they reflect not only our situation, but how I was feeling at the time. If nothing else, perhaps they will spur me to get off my dead ass and do something.

I figured that you too had backed off owing to how you've been feeling. It's hard to muster much enthusiasm for much of anything when your body is throwing punches at itself.

After 2 weeks of fighting the cold, it's pretty much history except for occasional hacking up stuff. (You're welcome for the image.) My wife has gotten it, but she must have a really kick-ass immune system. Her symptoms are far less dramatic and debilitating than mine were. Her sister got it and has developed pneumonia.

My son had it and suffered swollen vocal chords and was unable to sing for a couple of weeks. He had to perform in a couple of shows where he spoke his lines and someone else came on to sing his songs. Kinda weird.

I send you similar "cyber hugs" in the hopes that you manage to feel better in the coming days and weeks, and certainly over the holidays.

TLS